Hello everyone! Welcome to my tour stop for Untethered by KayLynn Flanders! I’m so excited to share more about this amazing book with everyone! Please keep reading for information about the book and the author, my review, a giveaway, and other tour stops.
For fans of Sorcery of Thorns and Furyborn comes the thrilling sequel to Shielded about a world in a deadly magical war and the newly crowned king and feisty princess who must defeat the deadliest of foes before there’s nothing left to save.
Although King Atháren’s sister, Jennesara, saved Hálendi from the Gray Mage, the reprieve came at a steep price–the life of their father. Now Ren rules over a divided kingdom, with some who want him dead, and a Medallion that warns of worse trouble brewing in the south.
As second born, Princess Chiara is the perfect Turian royal–perfectly invisible. She longs to help restore peace on the Plateau, but with no magic and no fighting skills, she doesn’t stand a chance against a mage. So when a member of the Turian royal family goes missing and Chiara finds a clue about the rumored resting place of the mages’ long-lost artifacts, she decides it’s time to be seen.
As Ren’s and Chiara’s paths cross, they find the depth of the mages’ hold on the Plateau is more powerful than anyone suspected, and that they must learn to trust themselves, and each other, before the mages retrieve their artifacts and become too powerful to ever defeat.
My Top 5 Reasons to Read Untethered:
- The adventure! Awesome world-building, interesting magic system, dangerous journeys…what more could you want?
- Ren and Chiara. These two characters didn’t play huge roles in Shielded, the first book in this series. However, they steal the show in this book. While Jenna and Enzo still appear in the sequel, Ren and Chiara are the main characters this time around. Ren and Chiara are both such lovable characters, and I thought it was cool that we got to see them struggle and overcome their anxiety/self-doubt.
- The balance between heart-warming moments and intense fight scenes. One of my favorite things about this series has always been how wholesome it is. It’s rare to see books with good sibling/parent relationships, especially in the fantasy genre. Those relationships, as well as the friendships and romances, really make this book stand out. However, it doesn’t mean there aren’t any action-packed moments! There are some powerful mages with lofty goals, and Ren and Chiara are desperate to keep them from getting what they want.
- The messages/themes. Unlike many other YA series, this book has a lot of important themes in it. Forgiveness and second chances are a huge theme in this story. Unlikely allies help the main characters learn to trust others and realize they shouldn’t be so quick to judge or make assumptions. Ren struggles with self-confidence; Chiara struggles with wanting to be noticed/appreciated. This book has many important truths between its pages–it truly is a spectacular story!
- Yesilia. Yesilia is Chiara’s grandmother who we met in Shielded. She doesn’t play a huge role in this book, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of her scenes! We need more fantasy books with kick-butt grandmas who are wise, useful, and reckless!
I received an ARC of this book, and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
Potential spoilers for book 1 ahead!
With his father dead and Jenna in Turia, Ren becomes the king of Halendi and is left alone to pick up the pieces. There are those in his own court who want him dead, making his list of allies slim. To make matters worse, the Medallion continues to warn of danger. Meanwhile, Princess Chiara of Turia feels invisible. No one pays her much mind, even her own family. When horrible news arrives in Turia, Chiara takes it upon herself to settle matters. Along with a mysterious clue, she sets off on a difficult journey. Both she and Ren discover how powerful the mages truly are and must work together if the Plateau is to be saved.
This was an excellent sequel to Shielded! I am always wary when a series shifts to a different character’s POV from book to book, but I genuinely enjoyed following Ren and Chiara throughout Untethered.
First things first, the world-building is just as amazing as it was in Shielded. More of the Plateau is explored here and we learn more about the land and its magic. While there is a lot we don’t know, it doesn’t take away from the story at all.
Ren and Chiara were also very interesting characters. They struggle with believing in themselves and worrying that they’re not enough. Ren is not sure he can handle a kingdom; Chiara feels like a useless princess with nothing to contribute. As they continue on the journey, they also learn more about themselves and what they’re truly capable of.
In addition, the messages in this story were what truly made this book excellent. The characters learn a lot about forgiveness, trust in both others and themselves, and that there are many different kinds of strengths in life.
This is a clean and wholesome read that is still fun and adventurous! I think this is a great book for both teens and older readers. This duology will forever have a special place in my heart!
If you’re interested in buying Untethered, you can do so here:
You can also find the book on Goodreads!
One winner will receive a finished copy of Untethered. The giveaway starts on July 19th and ends on July 26th.
Interested in the other tour stops? Click here for the schedule!
About the Author:
KayLynn Flanders has a degree in English Language and editing, and has been a freelance editor and book designer for over twelve years. Her debut novel, Shielded, was published by Delacorte Press/PRH, with the sequel, Untethered, forthcoming. KayLynn and her family live in Utah between some mountains and a lake, and she is directionally challenged without them. She loves reading, writing, traveling, and volleyball, and thinks there’s nothing better than a spur-of-the-moment road trip.
Thank you so much for coming to my tour stop! Have a great week!